From: William S. Kessler <william.s.kessler@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ferret_users] significance test of compsites
To: "Ansley Manke" <ansley.b.manke@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Ferret users" <ferret_users@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, November 5, 2012, 3:35 PM

Re the description Ansley points to below:

You can make a t-table in fortran (requires a Gamma-function routine, see Numerical Recipes), or use the attached lookup table. Or you can probably find it via google.

But the key thing you need to do this correctly is an estimate of the degrees of freedom. Very roughly this is the number of "bumps" in your time series (including positive and negative), but is formally:

(Number of terms in the time series)/(Independence timescale)

The independence timescale is usually found as the sum (over all lags) of the product of lag correlations (or lag correlation squared for a single time series). This is tricky to do in Ferret (usually requires a REPEAT loop), but the extra axes available in Ferret 6.8 are helpful.

Be careful about the time units! If you are using "time axis index number" as your unit, and the time axis is regular, the calculation is as above. If you do it in, say, days, then the independence timescale is Delta-t (in days) times the sum of correlations, and the "number of terms" above is the total length of the time series in days.

See the discussion and references on p3015 of Kessler et al (1996). Scales of variability in the equatorial Pacific inferred from the Tropical Atmosphere- Ocean (TAO) buoy array. J.Climate, 9, 2999-3024.
Available in pdf at http://faculty.washington.edu/kessler/abstracts/sampling-abstract.html

BK