[ferret_users] descriptor file

Hi,

I have a series of 1501 netcdf files. I'd like to put them together
using a descriptor file.

I have renamed them with ending .001, .002 but I had to separate them
into two groups as Ferret does not accept a four-digits extension.

I'm trying to put two entries in the descriptor file like this:

$STEPFILE_RECORD
   s_filename           = '1stgroup_file.nc.001',
   S_AUX_SET_NUM        = 0,
   S_START              = 1,
   S_END                = 600,
   S_DELTA              = 1,
   S_NUM_OF_FILES       = 600,
   S_REGVARFLAG         = ' ',
 $END
 $STEPFILE_RECORD
   s_filename           = '2ndgroup_file.nc.001',
   S_AUX_SET_NUM        = 0,
   S_START              = 601,
   S_END                = 1501,
   S_DELTA              = 1,
   S_NUM_OF_FILES       = 901,
   S_REGVARFLAG         = ' ',
 $END

it seems to accept it but when I try to plot a time-series I get:

No such file or directory (OPeNDAP/netCDF Error code 2)

 because it jumps from file 600 of the first group to file 601 of the
second group so it can find only a total of 901 files.

It must be something simple but I can't see it.

Thanks for any help

Raffa