Re: [ferret_users] regriding from discontinuous time axis

Hi Bruno,

> I would like to regrid a variable on a new time axis. The problem is
> that the source grid is discontinuous (with gaps of several days) ;
> the tranformation fills the gap with interpolated or averaged values
> (depending of the transformation used). Is it possible to avoid this
> behaviour (I mean fill the gap with missing values) ?

I think the most straightforward solution is to add missing datapoints
to the original data before regridding.

Suppose we have this dataset:

time  var
 0    0.1
 1    1.2
 4    4.5
 5    5.6

There are two potential interpretations to this dataset:

  1) time=2 and time=3 are missing datapoints.
  2) The time grid is unevenly spaced.

In (2), there are no missing values.  It's just that the grid
spacing is not uniform.  Ferret adopts this interpretation because
there are no missing values in sight.

If you want Ferret to take interpretation (1), you need to explicitly
say so:

time  var
 0    0.1
 1    1.2