Re: [ferret_users] multi-year overlay plot

Hi,
This is not something Ferret naturally does, but there's a way to do it. Here's an answer to a similar question from the archives.
http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/maillists/tmap/ferret_users/fu_2004/msg00493.html

Note you have to be careful to label the plots yourself.

The example in the post from the archive should run, but it uses some older syntax. In newer versions of Ferret since that answer was written, there is some simpler syntax. To define  viewports,
define view/x=0:1/y=0:1 view1
and the PLOT command has some new qualifiers, /NOAXIS, so you don't have to issue the "ppl axset,0,0,0,0", and /VLIM to let you set the vertical axis limits on the PLOT command itself.  Also, the /COLOR qualifier lets you give colors by name.
! plot year#1
set view view1
plot/nolab/set/t=1-jan-1981:31-dec-1981/color=black/vlim=-1.1:1.2 v
ppl txlint,,0    ! suppress YEAR in the axis label
ppl plot
label/nouser 0.2 5.0 -1 0 0.2 @p1@sr1981  ! add label to identify year#1

!plot year#2
set view view2
plot/nolab/t=1-jan-1982:31-dec-1982/noax/color=red/vlim=-1.1:1.2 v
label/nouser 0.2 4.5 -1 0 0.2 @p2@sr1982  ! add label to identify year#2

! plot year#3 ...