Re: [ferret_users] hard to make fig.

Hi ferret_users,

     Thank you for responses.
   I finally solve the problem. Actually I need to set
up the directory that ferret_paths is put using
Finstall.

   It is really simple actually. For my case, I put
file ferret.tgz under the path:
/User/yzheng/Applications which I have permission to
read and write and execute.

  The first step is generally as everyone use:

   tar zxvf ferret.tgz under the path
/User/yzheng/Applications

   The most important thing is for the second step:
run Finstall to set up ferret_paths if first time use
by typing Finstall in the path
/User/yzheng/Applications/ferret/bin

The following will appear on your screen:

   Enter your choice:
   (1) Install executables, (2) Customize
'ferret_paths', (3) Exit and do nothing (1,2, or 3)
--> SELECT 2

   Setup ferret_paths...

   The environment variable FER_DIR is currently
defined as
   /usr/local/ferret. This is the directory where the
'fer_environment'
   tar file was installed.
   Is that correct and acceptable (y/n) [y] SELECT n

   Then I type
   /User/yzheng/Applications/ferret

   The environment variable FER_DSETS is currently
defined as
   /usr/local/ferret. This is the directory where the
'fer_dsets'
   tar file was installed.
   Is that correct and acceptable (y/n) [y] SELECT n

  Then I type
   /User/yzheng/Applications/ferret

   Enter the complete path of the directory where you
want to place
   the newly created 'ferret_paths' file, for example,
'/usr/local'.
   desired 'ferret_paths' location -->
   ENTER A DIRECTORY THAT YOU HAVE WRITE PERMISSION
FOR THAT IS IN YOUR
   PERSONAL PATH, e.g. I USE /User/yzheng/Applications

   Enter your choice:
   (1) Install executables, (2) Customize
'ferret_paths', (3) Exit and
   do nothing (1,2, or 3) --> SELECT 3

   /* Source your new ferret_paths file: */
   % source (your input direvtory from
above)/ferret_paths

  for my case in the Unix command line,

   % Source /User/yzheng/Applications/ferret_paths

      then you will see "appending ferret paths", it
means you are successful in doing that.

   Or you can put the above statement in the file
.cshrc

    Since for my case, I manually select the directory
$FER_DIR and $FER_DSETS to be
/User/yzheng/Applications/ferret instead of the
default /usr/local/ferret

   You are now ready to run ferret and have access to
sample datasets, etc.

   For more detailed explanation, refer to the link
http://www.ce.washington.edu/~jenny/web_tutorial/tutorial.htm#ferr

   Yangxing