Re: [ferret_users] use a finer coastline with go land and go fland

Hi All,
        Though Temothee got a solution to his question, i think this
information will be useful to all those to interested in fine resolution
bathymetry data.

     There is a recent article in Marine Geophysical Researches, by Marks and
Smith on "An Evaluation of Publicly Available Global Bathymetry Grids"
(see http://springerlink.metapress.com/content/w86v85v5u66g3841/
?p=e22bda9684ef4291a7373478dba4b34b&pi=2) (Volume 27, Number 1, 2006,
DOI 10.1007/s11001-005-2095-4) which talks about Etopo2, GEBCO and few
other datasets. This is an excellent article and if you are interested in
fine resolution bathymetry, you should read it.

     Regarding the topography/coastline datasets, Etopo5 is not the finest
resolution available now (as mentioned in earlier mails). There are datasets
like GEBCO, Etopo2 and GLOBE (only land elevation) which are having
resolutions of 1 Minutes, 2 Minutes and 1 Km respectively. Here is a list of
freely available global datasets. This is only a beginning and the list is,
for sure, not complete. I hope that those who know about any other datasets
or relevant web sites will include those to the present list and make it as
a good source of information.

    Please note that the ocean topography or land elevation datasets can be
used to create new coastline dataset (extracting lat & lon for zero depth/
elevation) but read the dataset documentation, especially about the data
processing, to know how reliable will be the coastline derived like this.

Please see the list below....which is extended as far as i can....

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Jaison

 List of free, Global, Ocean Topography/Land Elevation/Coastline/River datasets

 1. ocean topography
 Dataset Name : Etopo2 (Smith and Sandwell)
 Resolution   : 2 Minute
 Source       : NOAA NGDC
 Data format  : NetCDF
 On Web       : http://dss.ucar.edu/datasets/ds759.3/
                http://ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/fliers/06mgg01.html
                http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/fliers/01mgg04.html
                http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/nph-dods/data/PMEL/
                      smith_sandwell_topo_v8_2.nc --> dods
                http://www.ferret.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/dods/nph-dods/
                      data/smith_sandwell_topo.nc --> dods
                http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/fliers/97mgg03.html --> poster

 Dataset Name : Etopo5
 Resolution   : 5 Minute
 Source       : NOAA NGDC
 Data format  : NetCDF
 On Web       : http://dss.ucar.edu/datasets/ds759.1
                http://ingrid.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.WORLDBATH/
                http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/dods/nph-dods/data/
                        PMEL/etopo5.nc --> dods

 Dataset Name : General Bathymetric Chart of the Oceans (GEBCO)
 Resolution   : 1 Minute
 Source       : BODC
 Data Format  : NetCDF (274 MB zip file)
 On Web       : http://www.bodc.ac.uk/data/online_delivery/gebco/
 Note         : Though this dataset is 1 Minute resolution, it misses
                    features which the lower-resolution ETOPO2 captures,
                    due to over smoothing. See the following link for a
                    comparison :
                    http://www.vterrain.org/Elevation/Bathy/bathy_comp.html

 2. land elevation
 -----------------
 Dataset Name : GLOBE
 Resolution   : 1 Km,  Gridded
 Source       : NOAA NGDC
 Data format  : NetCDF
 On web       : http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.NOAA/.NGDC/.GLOBE/
                http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/topo/globe.html
 Note         : Etopo2 and Etopo5 (see above) also have land elevation.

 3. Ridge Bathymetry
 --------------------
 Dataset Name : Ridgembs Relational Database
 Resolution   : Variable, can be as high as 50 m where data exists.
                   No global coverage (wherever data is not available, Etopo2
                   is used as a regional background map).
 Source       : Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory (together with RIDGE & NSF)
 Data Format  : NetCDF/ASCII
 On Web       : http://ocean-ridge.ldeo.columbia.edu/database/html/home.html
                http://www.marine-geo.org/geomapapp/about.html

 4. coastline/shoreline data
 ---------------------------
 Dataset Names: 4a) NOAA/NOS Medium resolution coastline, 1:70,000
                4b) World Vector Shoreline, 1:250,000
                4c) World Data Bank II, 1:2,000,000
                4d) World Coast Line, 1:5,000,000
 Resolution   : .....
 Data Format  : ASCII
 Source       : NOAA NGDC
 On Web       : http://rimmer.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/coast/getcoast.html
                http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/shorelines/shorelines.html (home)
 Note         : Ferret does have a really nice FAQ about "Detailed Coastlines
                  and Borders" at
                  http://www.ferret.noaa.gov/Ferret/FAQ/graphics/coastlines.html";
                  which describes how to use the dataset from this source for
                  drawing borders in Ferret.

 5. Political/International/Internal boundaries
 Dataset Names: 5a) World Data Bank II Political boundaries
                5b) World Data Bank II International Boundaries
                5c) World Data Bank II Internal Boundaries
                5d) World Vector Shoreline & All political boundaries
 Resolution   : .....
 Data Format  : ASCII
 Source       : NOAA NGDC
 On Web       : http://rimmer.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/coast/getcoast.html
                http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/shorelines/shorelines.html (home)

 6. Rivers
 ----------
 Dataset Name : World Data Bank II Rivers
 Resolution   : .....
 Data Format  : ASCII
 Source       : NOAA NGDC
 On Web       : http://rimmer.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/coast/getcoast.html
                http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/shorelines/shorelines.html (home)

 7. Where to Look for more informations?
 ---------------------------------------
 http://dss.ucar.edu/catalogs/list_auto/topo.html
 http://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/products/vis/data/datasets/index.html
 http://ioc.unesco.org/oceanteacher/OceanTeacher2/06_OcDtaMgtProc/
                 05_DtaAnal&Prods/08_SelectProds/SelAnalProds.htm
 http://www.vterrain.org/Elevation/Bathy/index.html
 http://topex.ucsd.edu/marine_topo/text/topo.html

 You can also check :
         http://topex.ucsd.edu/WWW_html/srtm30_plus.html
         http://fermi.jhuapl.edu/abyss/documents/HOTSWG3.3.pdf
         http://www.gcc.ntu.edu.tw/modelsplanning/database/gcrc_databank/
              datamanage/DISasia/igbp-dis/activity_summary/summary_act1_8.html

 8. More about Etopo2
 --------------------
 CleanTOPO2 : CleanTOPO2 is a touched up and generalized version of SRTM30
              Plus, a public domain dataset that combines sea floor and land
              elevation data of the entire world.
              On Web : http://www.shadedrelief.com/cleantopo2/

 General Notes about sites listed above
 a) With dss.ucar & bodc.ac.uk you have to create an account (it is free) in
       order to download datasets. While creating account with bodc.ac.uk,
       keep the final page where the verification code is to be pasted as it
       is, and wait for a mail from bodc. Once you get the mail copy and paste
       the verification code on the box provided.

 b) Citations for above datasets are available/mentioned in the respective
       web pages.

 c) Links which marked as "--> dods" can be accessed via DODS, using Ferret.