[ferret_users] Re: ferret into the future

Many thanks to Roland and Gary for their replies.

When I went back and re-read my letter I was disappointed that
I was not more careful in how I wrote it. I hope it did not
come across as provocative - it wasn't meant that way.

The main purpose for my email was to find out if there were
plans for major changes in the near future, and from the
response I'd say - apparently not.

I read somewhere (I wish I could find it again) that ferret
was born out of a survey undertaken by PMEL, which looked at
what others in the scientific and IT world were doing and
decided that the tools available to earth scientists were far
behind. It seems to me that ferret succeeded in the most
important respect, but that there are major issues with
user-friendliness. Those who know ferret "backwards and
forwards" are probably happy with it as it is and that I'm
crazy to suggest it needs a major overhaul in that respect.

And that's all I've got to say about it.

John