Re: appending data to netCDF file

Hi Steve,
This can be found by looking in the index under "NetCDF, append a slab". There's a pretty complete description and example there. The example assumes you're reading in a group of ascii data files and writing to Z levels in a netcdf file, but it's the same idea no matter where the data comes from. You might want to scan the whole section chapter 10, sec 2 for the context of the examples.

I'll add a new index entry under "append" in the index, to make this easier to find.

Ansley

Steve Guimond wrote:

Hello:
I want to be able to append a netCDF file with data on different
levels, but cannot find this in the documentation. Let's say I have winds
at the surface and at 850 mb but defined as different variables. I just
want to stack the 850 mb winds onto the 1000 mb winds.

I tried:
save/file=wind.nc/k=1 wind
save/append/file=wind.nc/k=2 wind
etc....

so when i open up the file it should look like this:

wind i=1:x j=1:x k=1:2

where k=1 is the surface and k=2 is 850 mb.

Thanks for your help

Steve Guimond
Research Assistant
The Center for Ocean-Atmospheric Prediction Studies