Title label variable help

Hello everyone,

I am using ferret to generate GIF, and ASCII files
from existing netCDF files. I was wondering how to add
information to the top of each of these files. For
example I would like to display the start and end date
of the file just as a reference and display the
meanings behind the date. For example the start and
end date of the data, or start and end time of the
file creation etc.
So at the top of the gif or ASCII file I would have
something like this

START DATE: 01/01/01
END DATE: 01/03/01
DATE MEANING: start and end date of data collection.

I'm still pretty new at this stuff so I'm not sure if
I'm using the correct terminology. Is there any way to
have this set in a jnl file? Thank you for your time.

Selina