Re: how to get more colours

Hi Suprit,
Welcome to Ferret and the Users community!

Are you shading a small area? Does the topography really range from
0 to 2500 in the area that you are shading? If, for example, your
plot only ranges from 200 to 500 meters, there are a lot of colors
from 500 to 2500 that are unused. Try it first without the /LEVEL
qualifier and see what range Ferret finds when it determines the levels
automatically. Once you see what Ferret's automatic range is, you
can revise your LEVEL values.

Another possibility is that you are using a palette that's defined by_level or
by_value so that colors are tied to specific values of the data field or levels.
Again, try specifying the shade command with no palette specified and
start with the default plot.

Ansley Manke

hi ferreters

I am very new to the ferret and need some help.

i am plotting a topography map from ETOPO2 data set over land area .
by using the SHADE/LEVEL=(0,2500,25) command .

the problem is that the colours in the map or colour key I am getting is not satisfactory, only six colours are being displayed , so the finer details of the topographiacal features are lost. ( like there is hardly any difference between 200 to 500 meters level).

can anyone tell me how to get more colours for getting finer vertical resoulation?
i am using ferret v5.41 on my PC ( red hat linux 7.2)

thanks in advance
bye
suprit