Re: Detecting presence of variable in a dataset (was: Customizing stick &contour plots)

One thing that might help is the little-known LET/D command syntax.  For
example,

let/d my_var = dummy         ! defaults to dummy if my_var is not in data set

Suppose you have a dataset that may of may not have variable my_var in it.  Then
if my_var does not exist, this command will substitute the variable dummy for
it.  You could predefine dummy to be all missing values or whatever is
convenient.  If my_var does exist, this command does nothing.

--
Edward D. (Ned) Cokelet, Ph.D.      Edward.D.Cokelet@noaa.gov
NOAA/PMEL                                   ph: (206) 526-6820