Detecting presence of variable in a dataset (was: Customizing sti ck &contour plots)

Dear Ferreters,

I wish to have my GO script detect if a variable present in a data set and
then conditionally execute statements.  E.g.:

IF (TEMPERATURE_HR is_a_valid_variable) THEN
  CONTOUR TEMPERATURE_HR
ELSE
  CONTOUR TEMPERATURE_DAY
ENDIF

Is there some magic that will do this conditional expression?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

P.S. Thank you Hein, Mick & Ansley for the plotting suggestions.  They are
working well.

--
Mike McCann (mccann at mbaridotorg)
7700 Sandholdt Road