Re: Problem with DODS connection : $HOME/.dods_cache

On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 09:25, Tony Jolibois wrote:
>                 Hi all ferret users,
>
> I had a problem with ferret and DODS dataset connection, I have now
> the solution but I prefer telling you about this if you are in the
> same situation.
>
> With a ferret V5.5, I wanted to access a DODS dataset.
> So the command was :
> [bulletin@romeo script]$ ferret
>         NOAA/PMEL TMAP
>         FERRET v5.50
>         Linux 2.4.3-12smp - 01/15/03
>         17-Dec-03 16:18
>
> yes? use
> "http://opendap.mercator-ocean.fr/dodsC/mercator_psy2v1_mersea_grid1o8_med_best_estimate";
> segmentation fault
> [bulletin@romeo script]$ core dump
>
> Ferret always did some "segmentation fault" for all the DODS dataset.
> After tracing what ferret does (with strace), I found that ferret read
> in $HOME/.dods_cache for the DODS dataset.
> So I have deleted this directory and now all work fine.
>
> I don't know the reason, but it was not very simple to find this
> error.

You probably had values in HOME/.dods_cache which were corrupted. If you
look in $HOME/.dods_cache now you should see a .index file and also some
directories with files in them. If those files get mangled then it's
possible for the OPeNDAP software to crash.

If you would like to turn off client-side cachng, go to $HOME/.dodsrc
and set USE_CACHE to 0.

If you use the cache and run into this problem again, could you tar up
.dods_cache and send it to me along with the URL you were trying to
access? It would be a great help in tracking down this problem (which is
a known bug).

Thanks,
James

> Regards,
> Tony

> Tony Jolibois
> CLS, Direction Océanographie Spatiale
> Tel: (+33) (0) 561 393 797
> Internet: http://www.cls.fr
James Gallagher		         The Distributed Oceanographic Data System
jgallagher@gso.uri.edu               http://unidata.ucar.edu/packages/dods
Voice/Fax: 406.723.8663