"%XAXIS" command & 'nmstc' argument

Dear Ferretters,
                 In normal case we can set the number of small tics
between the large tics on an axis by using PPLUS command 'AXNMTC'. In the
case of %XAXIS command we have an argument 'nmstc'(5th one) to set the
number of small tics. It is confusing me why ferret is not taking that
argument while making the plot. Whatever may be the values given, no
effect. I can controll the label intervals of large tics by
a combination of hlimits qualifier in plot command and 'lint'
argument (6th one) in %XAXIS. But how to make ferret to take the 'nmstc'
argument ? My script is somewhat like this...

plot/set/over/hlim=32:36:0.5 salinity[d=2]
PPL %XAXIS/nouser,32,36,0.5,4.0,2,2.0,,,,(i2)
ppl window off
ppl plot/over

I would like to know one more thing.....does there is any other way to
shift the axis like what we can do by the argument 'y' (4th one) in
%XAXIS ?

thanks ....in advance

Jaison Kurian