Re: convert nc to cdf

Enils,

If you provide us with an OPeNDAP URL to your dataset or the output of 'ncdump -c' then we'll be able  to debug things from here.  If you can create a dataset not larger than a megabyte that displays the same problem you can attach it to an email.  The LAS code shouldn't differentiate between the .cdf and .nc extensions and we'd be very interested in fixing it if it did.

It is important to understand that NetCDF is a format standard, not a precise specification of what contents must exist in a file.  There need not be any difference between files with the '.cdf' and '.nc' extensions except the extensions themselves.  You can try this out by renaming your '.cdf' files '.nc' and running addXml.pl.  Things should work.  There must be some difference in the actual contents of the two different dataset files you refer to and you cannot fix the problem fixing the contents in those files.  There are a zillion ways people can stuff data into a NetCDF file and, unless they adhere pretty strictly to the COARDS conventions, the LAS code will not automatically understand the data contents.

-- Jon

Enils Bashi wrote:
Hi,

You're right there is no difference between the two, but there seems to be
difference when you try to configure them to work with LAS. All nc files
that I have tried feeding to LAS cannot be configured due to some
restrictions in the perl code that are cdf specific.
You are also right that the question was asked in LAS list, but, the answer
I got was not much more that unrelated example provided with the ferret user
guide.
I was expecting a more straight forward "black box" method that would
convert the file from nc to cdf, and does not require having knowledge of
the variables in those files.

Enils Bashi
Programmer - Chesapeake Bay Program
Veridyne Incorporated