regridding of regular data onto irregular grid

Dear Ferreters,

maybe this is already a challenge beyond the scope of Ferret, but I will give it a try: Is Ferret able to interpolate gridded data onto an irregular grid?

An Example: My input data are regular sea surface heights on a 1/3x1/3 Mercator grid:

name title I J K
MSLA TP/ERS-1 Sea Level Anomaly 1:1080 1:915 ...

which I would like to interpolate on a tripolar grid that is spanned by 2D latitudes and longitudes:

name title I J K
NAV_LON Longitude 1:182 1:149 ...
NAV_LAT Latitude 1:182 1:149 ...

In the end, I would like to have a new variable msla_new with dimensions of 182x149.

As expected, a simple
shade MSLA[d=1,gx=nav_lon[d=2],gy=nav_lat[d=2]]
does not really work....

Any suggestions?

-Arne

--

Dr. Arne Biastoch

Institute for Marine Research phone: ++49 431 600-4013
FB1 Ocean Circulation and Climate fax : ++49 431 600-1515
Duesternbrooker Weg 20 email: abiastoch@ifm.uni-kiel.de
24105 Kiel, Germany

http://www.ifm.uni-kiel.de/fb/fb1/tm/data/pers/abiastoch.html