automatically symbol definitions

Hi Ferreters

I am trying to design a journal that adjust itself as better as possible to plot my results.

The basic journal compute some parameters (statistical stuff - not showed) and when I try to plot them, some parameters have not appear due VLIM. In sum, I have intend to define symbols automatically (inside the journal) that will give these limits.

Below is part of my plot journal sequence.

define symbol var1 $1%AAA% !my variable
define symbol var2 $2%BBB% !parameter 1 - computed from my variable (result from expression - single value)
define symbol var3 $3%CCC% !parameter 2 - computed from my variable (result from expression - single value)

! AAA[l=@max] may be bigger, equal or smaller than BBB
! AAA[l=@min] may be bigger, equal or smaller than CCC
! BBB is bigger than CCC

let/quiet template1=if AAA[l=@max] ge BBB then AAA[l=@max] else BBB;define symbol max $4%template1%
let/quiet template2=if AAA[l=@min] le CCC then AAA[l=@min] else CCC;define symbol min $5%template2%

! above, only to determine which values are my limits and defining as symbol (Can I afford to do this ???)
! and then

plot/vlim=($min):($max) ($var1)
plot/ov/colour=red/nolabels ($var2)
plot/ov/colour=red/nolabels ($var3)

! The sequence of variable plotted doesn't matter

! The big problem is: ferret cannot understand my symbols "min" and "max". It has returned a message:

!-> plot/vlim=mi:ma AAA
**ERROR: command syntax: mi

Can anyone help me ???

Tonin, H. E.
School of Chemistry, Physics and Earth Sciences
Flinders University
Adelaide - Australia