Re: ferret, postscript file and PowerPoint

Hi,

playing around with the same problem I also learned that writing a gif-file (in combination with a large window size is the best option). If you want a file with higher resolution you also might to convert the postscript file on a UNIX machine:

gs -sDEVICE=jpeg -sOutputFile=file.jpg -r300x300 -dNOPAUSE file.ps

where 300x300 is the resolution.

The main problem using gif-files is that you have to have 2 versions of each figure: One (gif or jpeg) for powerpoint and another (ps) for hardcopy. A solution would be to have a postscript file with a gif preview. In that case powerpoint would use the preview for online presentations and the postscript figure for printouts. Unfortunately FERRET is not able to produce such files and I have not been successfull to generate those afterwards.

-Arne

Rost Parsons wrote:
Hi Rolando,

I found a simple technique in the old ferret mail archives that seems to
work to increase gif resolution -- I use this when putting figures in
PowerPoint. Before you issue the plotting command (shade, contour,
etc) and associated "frame" command, use:

set window/size=2

I generally start ferret with "ferret -gif" when doing a lot of frame
captures for PowerPoint as well.

Good Luck,

Rost