Sorting netCDF file?

FERRET doesn't like netCDF files with non-monotonically-increasing axis values,
ie:

prompt>ferret
        NOAA/PMEL TMAP
        FERRET v5.51
        Solaris 5.8 - 02/28/03
        20-Jun-03 15:49

yes? use unsorted_time.nc
 *** NOTE: Coordinates out of order or missing on axis time at subscript 7
 *** NOTE: A dummy axis of subscripts will be used
yes? quit

I was wondering if anyone had a little utility that takes such a netCDF file
and sorts the time axis (and all the variables which are defined on said
axis) so it is monotonically increasing and all the variables are properly
re-ordered as well.

I've started writing such a beast in F90 but I can see it's not trivial, I
think.

Thanks.
--
/\        Gary Strand (303) 497-1336                                NCAR CG2260
  \_][    www.cgd.ucar.edu/ccr/strandwg                    3080 Center Green Dr