Re: termcap & ncurses on linux (was Re: segemntation fault)

Olivier Archer wrote:

Mahdi Ben Jelloul wrote:

That is the information I needed.
The problem was that I installed and desinstalled termcap-compat after
installing libncurses5-dev so it removed  libtermcap.so.
I forced the reinstallation of libncurses5-dev and now everything
works well.

I just have to register ....

Encore merci,

so libtermcap.so.2 is a link to libtermcap.so who is a link to libncurses.so...
Here some information on the same problem on poplog:

http://www.poplog.org/talk/comp.lang.pop/2001/msg00018.html
http://www.poplog.org/talk/comp.lang.pop/2001/msg00016.html

So conclusion should be that linux (and since solaris 2.0) application have to be recompiled with libncurses instead libtermcap. This is perhaps true for other unix OS. This should avoid confusion.

Hello Olivier -

Thanks for the information and sending those links discussing the issue.. I will look into eliminating the termcap dependency in Ferret builds and instead use the curses library for Linux distributions. This change will be included in the next available release.

Thanks again for the info -

Kevin

---
Kevin O'Brien UW/JISAO