Re: segemntation fault

Mahdi Ben Jelloul wrote:

At Wed, 28 May 2003 18:32:41 +0200,
Olivier ARCHER wrote:

Mahdi Ben Jelloul wrote:

At Wed, 28 May 2003 17:02:59 +0200,
Olivier ARCHER wrote:

Mahdi Ben Jelloul wrote:

I am trying to install ferret on a linux debian i686 with kernel 2.4.
And I get a segmentation fault.

[snip]

> libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4015a000)

----> libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5 (0x402d4000) <---------

The only mismatch is libc.so.5.
Should I remove it from my system ?

I think there is a conflict on libc. I've tried to install libc5 on my system, and ldd say that ferret doesn't try to use it. if you dont need libc5, try to remove it from your system. I think ferret dont need libc5. ferret guru should confirm.

But as I said before termcap-compat that provides the libtermcap does
need it. So it can't remove it. How did ou manage to get off the
problem with libtermcap on debian without libc5 ?

Thanks,

Do you really need termcap-compat ? termcap-compat provide /usr/lib/libtermcap.so linked with *libc5* librarie. libncurses5-dev provide libtermcap.so linked with the *libc6* version. You sould remove termcap-compat and install libncurses5-dev. only some old non debian compiled binary application need termcap-compat. If you really need it, move termcap-compat files to a non standard library search path (eg /usr/lib/termcap-compat), and update the LD_LIBRARY_PATH enironnement variable*only* before running old linked binary.

--
Olivier