** unknown netCDF eror code: -1"

Dear Experts,
That "unknown netcdf error" is the error message I'm getting when I run the following little script that accesses our GDS:

use "http://cola8.iges.org:9191/dods/gfs/gfs2003051600";
set reg/x=-77/y=39/l=1:29
def view/axes/xlim=0.14,0.96/ylim=0.70,0.94 panel1
def view/axes/xlim=0.14,0.96/ylim=0.62,0.70 panel2
set view panel1
set reg/z=1000:500
fill/line/nolab/nokey rh
set view panel2
set reg/k=1
plot/nolab slp/100

The first RH panel plots ok, but the second SLP panel gives me the error message. As I run this script, I am watching the GDS log file, and according to the GDS, the data was sent without error. I tried it with Ferret in mode 'diagnostic' and it said (among other things):
"***** ERROR IN CD_READ *****".
Any ideas why Ferret can read one variable but not another?

Jennifer
--
Jennifer Miletta Adams
IGES/COLA