Re: NOTE: /UNIT=MONTHS is ambiguous

Hi Barry,
Those are informational messages, not errors.  The unit MONTH is
inherently ambiguous.  One might mean the middle of each calendar
month, which results in an irregularly-spaced time axis because the
months are of different length.  Or you might want an axis with the
year equally divided into 12 equal time steps.  By default, the latter
is what Ferret uses.

Ferret has some tools to help you create a monthly climatology.  There
are pre-defined regular and irregular monthly climatological time axes
available.  Please see "climatology, creating", in the Users Guide, or the
FAQ, "How do I calculate climatologies and climatological anomalies?",
at http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/FAQ/analysis/climatologies.html
for details and examples.

Ansley

Barry Baker wrote:

 Hello Ferret users,Why do I get this error message -  NOTE: /UNIT=MONTHS is ambiguous ... using 1/12 of 365.2425 dayswith either of these time axis definitions? define axis/edges/t=15-jan-1900:15-dec-2099:1/units=month tax
ordefine axis/t/unit=month/edges/t0=1-jan-1900/t=0:2400:1 taxI just want a 2400 point axis that occurs in the middle of the month so I can create a climatology.Thanks in advance,Barry
__________________________

Barry Baker, Ph.D.
Global Climate Change Initiative
The Nature Conservancy
2060 Broadway, Suite 230
Boulder, CO USA 80302
Tel: 1 (303) 541-0322
http://nature.org

You cannot win, you cannot break even, and you cannot get out of the game!C.P. Snow

--
Ansley Manke  Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory  Seattle WA  (206)526-6246