eof external function error

Hi all,

I'm trying to run ferret's eof external function and it keeps crashing.
Here's the release info:

      NOAA/PMEL TMAP
        FERRET v5.40
        Solaris 5.6 - 02/15/02
        13-Feb-03 13:44

The dataset is:
 SLPANOM  SLP_ANOM                         1:144     1:29      ...       1:114

with no missing datapoints.
When I try to plot the first eigenvector I get the following error
message:

yes? LET exy = eof_space(slpanom, 1.0)
yes? fill/l=1 exy
Subscript out of range on file eofsubs.F, line 747, procedure tridin.
Subscript number 1 has value 4001 in array m.
Abort

It takes quite a while for this error to come about (~3 hours).  Anyone
know a fix/workaround/have an idea what's crashing?  Or anyway to do
things more quickly?  I've experimented with Matlab and it finishes up in
a 10-30 minutes but is a pain to work with.  Perhaps a more
computationally efficient implementation could be written as an internal
function?

Thanks as always,

Brent

--