gif images under windows

Has anyone managed to get ferret to output gifs under windows 2000? I am using win2000 SP3 and ferret 5.5. Whenever I try to output a gif, the gif comes out all corrupted and nasty--Photoshop won't even recognize it as a valid gif filetype. I also use ferret on redhat linux and dec/compaq machines, and never have trouble making gifs on those platforms, using exactly the same scripts and datafiles as on windows. I also had this problem with ferret 5.41 in windows. Any ideas?

Jordan Dawe