repeat loops

Dear Ferret users

Some of my journal files have repeat commands which seem to run slower than I would expect.  I recently installed Ferret V5.41 on a new windows XP machine.

For example if I enter

repeat/k=1:100 (let test`k` = `k`)

with mode verify cancelled

it takes about 10 to 15 seconds to finish the loop.  This example is not particularly useful, but it demonstrates why some of my more complex (but shorter) repeat loops are taking longer to execute than expected.  I started to investigate this when some programs seemed to actually run slower on the new XP machine than a 2 year old Windows 98 laptop which has V5.22 installed.  When I tested the same command on the laptop it takes about 5 seconds to run which is actually quite a bit faster than on the newer machine, even though it is much more powerful and faster in other respects.

Is there some explanation for this?

Thanks

Mark

--