limit on the number of columns?

Is there a limit on the number of columns that one can have in reading
ASCII data using the /column option with the file command?

I'm having difficulty with a data matrix whose dimension is 200 (columns)
x 140 (rows).  I get an error message:

Record too long for input buffer
Program terminated by fatal I/O error
Abort

I tried a 200x1 matrix and still get the same error message.  It doesn't
seem to be a memory issue, as increasing it does not help.

I am able to read in 130x90 and 100x100 matrices.  So I'm wondering if
there is a hard limit somewhere between 130 and 200.  I could not find a
documentation for this, so I am unsure...

Thanks,
-Katsumi

--
Katsumi Matsumoto