RE: COHERENS sigma to meters z coordinate

Here is an example of one script I use.

$ cat deplayer.jnl
SET MEMORY/SIZE=$4#25#
set data "$1"
let gr3d = WATER_TEMP[l=$3#1#]
let bb=reshape(GRID_WATER_DEP,gr3d)
let zz=z*bb
let dep=zz[z=@weq:$2#200#]
let ss = WATER_TEMP[l=$3#1#]*dep
shade/levels=(0,35,1)/palette=ocean_temp/title="Water Temp (C) at $2#200#m"
ss[z=@sum]
let wu = water_u[l=$3#1#]*dep
let wv = water_v[l=$3#1#]*dep
vector/ov/length=1/xskip=4/yskip=4 wu[z=@sum],wv[z=@sum]

$1 is the dataset
$2 is the depth (200m default)
$3 is the time step (1 default)
$4 is memory size (25 default)

You should be able to run it as:

$ ferret
yes? go deplayer
http://pdas.navo.navy.mil/cgi-bin/nph-nc/data/SWAFS/swafs_ame_gme_2003011500
.nc 100 1
(thats all on one line)

You can look at the dataset at
http://pdas.navo.navy.mil/cgi-bin/nph-nc/data/SWAFS/swafs_ame_gme_2003011500
.nc.html

and

http://pdas.navo.navy.mil/

This is from an ocean model that has a sigma vertical coordinate.

If you don't understand the script try executing it line by line and
examining
the data you have at each step.

Paul Farrar