Re: Rw: Re: Discontinuous color table...

Years ago (back we had to make pseudo-contour plots on line printers) many of us wrote codes that used 'palettes' componsed of numbers if nine 'contours' were enough or of contrasting line printer characters ("/", "\", "*", etc.) if more contour range was needed. Often =/- was assigned by an overstruck "."

Such plots can be very effective. Would they be tough to implement as an external function?

Ed

Ansley Manke wrote:

Hi All,
Last month, Al Hermann wrote asking about color palettes which might
copy or print in black and white nicely. I don't know of any; greyscale
palettes which show as much detail as a color palette will be hard to
come by. I want to mention that the use of pattern palettes is a good way
to get more detail into a b/w plot, and the differences among patterns will
still be present no matter what the copier does to the level of contrast
on the page.

Ansley Manke

Al Hermann wrote:
Speaking of palettes; does anyone have a nice *color* palette which turns into a

reasonable *greyscale* when xeroxed/printed on b/w paper? Most color plots in
journal articles do not xerox well, and it is usually impossible to tell high
from low
values. A single palette, which does double duty this way, would seem to be the
ideal. Color palettes typically reveal details more clearly, but the xeroxed
(hence
greyscale) copy should at least communicate the general pattern in a monotonic
way. I realize the answer is somewhat hardware dependent.

-Al-Al