From: strandwg@ucar.edu
To: Billy Kessler
Sent: 12/16/02 3:04 PM
Subject: Re: Discontinuous color table...

There are probably more elegant solutions, but as long as you
leave the central value of the color table white, it should
always be as you want. For instance, I use the following blue-
white-red palette:

 0   20   20  100
45   95   95   95
55   95   95   95
100 100   20   20

Note that the central 10% of the color range is white (actually
very light gray, you could make it white by changing all the 95's
to 100's).

Then I would fill:

fill/lev=(-3,3,1,-1)del(0) variable

This would leave the range between -1 and 1 white. Negative values
would shade from dark to light blue, then positive values from light
to dark red. If you then wanted to have a zero contour line:

contour/over/lev=(-3,3,1,-1) variable

This did the trick. Thanks, Billy!
--
/\        Gary Strand (303) 497-1336                               NCAR
CG2260