Using @Ave function for irr. data files

Howdy again,

I am using Ferret 5.22 and have run into a snag using the @ave
transformation on data files with a irregularly spaced time axis.  For
instance,  I can take a data file which has the time axis defined from 1
Sep 98 to 5 Sep 98 (that is there are 5 time steps) and Ferret will
compute an average for a single grid point that correctly matches my
hand calculation.

However, when I have files with a time axis defined as 1 Sep 98 to 10
Sep 98 with, say, only 4 time steps (days 2, 5, 8, 10, for example),
Ferret's @ave calculation for a single gridpoint can be off by quite a
bit from my hand calculations (in one case, it was about 3 or so m/s
off).  What is going on here?  If I want to calculate the averages in
the irregular files, what do I need to do?  Create a new time axis?
Thanks in advance.

Scocks
Dept. of Atmospheric Sciences
Texas A&M University