Re: HDF to netCDF

On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 07:55, pcornillon@gso.uri.edu wrote:
> Hi Shankar,
>
> There are some problems that we are aware of with regard to the DODS-HDF servers.
> Most of these relate to the handling of attributes. There were also some bugs
> that have been fixed in the more recent version of the server. How old is
> the server that you are using or, probably more to the point, what version
> are you using?
>
> If it is an older version and replacing it with a newer version does not fix
> the problem, please let me know so that we can try to track it down.
>
> Peter
>
> p.s. I am the project lead for the DODS effort and am not that familiar with
> the HDF server. I have copied this message to the DODS tech mailing list which
> is read by those with more experience with this server.

Hello,

I'm not sure if someone else replied already. What I suspect is
happening is that there's vector data in the HDF files that are
unrecognizable. It's actually not the server that's not recognizing
them, it's the combination of ferret and the DODS-netCDF client library
(which ferret is using to read data from DODS servers). DODS servers
encode vector data in a datatype called a Sequence but the netCDF client
library does not (yet) know how to read and process that datatype. The
next release of our software will address this problem.

James

> D Shankar wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have some data in HDF and want to view them in Ferret.  For some reason,
> > these HDF files are not recognized by our (local) DODS server, though it has
> > no problem with most other HDF files.  There may be something different about
> > the way these files were created, but I have too little experience with HDF
> > to guess what the problem could be.
> >
> > I'd like to convert these data to netCDF for use with Ferret.  Is there some
> > utility to do this?
> >
> > With regards,
> > Shankar.
> >
> > --
> > D. Shankar
> > Physical Oceanography Division,
> > National Institute of Oceanography,
> > Dona Paula, Goa 403 004, India.
> > Ph.:        +91-832-456700 * 4312 (off)
> >              +91-832-453632 (res)
> > FAX:      +91-832-456702/3
> > e-mail: shankar@darya.nio.org, shankar@csnio.ren.nic.in
>
> --
>  Peter Cornillon
>   Graduate School of Oceanography  - Telephone: (401) 874-6283
>    University of Rhode Island      -       FAX: (401) 874-6728
>     Narragansett RI 02882  USA     -  Internet: pcornillon@gso.uri.edu
James Gallagher		         The Distributed Oceanographic Data System
jgallagher@gso.uri.edu
http://unidata.ucar.edu/packages/dods
Voice: 775.337.8612					 Fax: 775.337.2105