Re: Descriptor hard limitations

I seem to have run into a Ferret roadblock with a limitation
on the number of named regions that can be defined.
It would appear that the current limit is about 10.
My goal is to pre-define and name regions around the mouths
of major global rivers in order to facilitate analyses
of modeled river disharges in a coupled climate model,
and we are interested in more than 10 rivers.

But when I try to define an 11th named region, ferret v 5.41
returns...
DEFINE REGION/X=29E:33E/Y=30N:33N    NILE
 **ERROR: a program limit has been reached: Cancel or redefine a region

Canceling regions is not a workable alternative ... the idea was
to have a sizable set of pre-defined regions available for us
to switch among by using the river names.
If I haven't missed something, and there is a current hard limit of
10, I would hope that the limit on the number of regions that can be
defined and named could be greatly increased in future releases.

Keith Dixon
( kd@gfdl.noaa.gov )
- - -