Re: 5.41 crashes when creating gif's

I have sometimes encountered trouble creating sequences of gifs (for movies) on OSF
(Dec/Compaq/HP) machines with standard ferret. However, everything works fine if I use
"ferret -gif" instead. The only disadvantage is you won't see any output to an X
window, but you will create clean gifs.

-Al Hermann

Helge Avlesen wrote:

> Dear Ferret team,
> I get this error when I try to save some plot as a gif:
>
> <avle@kongle> $ uname -a
> SunOS kongle 5.8 Generic_108528-15 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-30
> <avle@kongle> $ ferret
> appending ferret path
>         NOAA/PMEL TMAP
>         FERRET v5.41
>         Solaris 5.8 - 09/18/02
>         26-Sep-02 11:37
>
> yes? SHADE/i=1:10/j=1:15 i+j     ! a sample plot
> yes? FRAME/FILE=testsize.gif     ! Save the plot as a gif.
> X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  91 (X_QueryColors)
>   Value in failed request:  0xffff00cc
>   Serial number of failed request:  468
> <avle@kongle> $
>
> can I do something to make this work or is it just a bug in Ferret?
>
> --
> Helge

Albert J. Hermann
Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory
7600 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, WA 98115
e-mail: hermann@pmel.noaa.gov
ph:  (206)-526-6495 fax: (206)-526-6485
WWW: http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/~hermann/