Re: scientifc notation

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Will Lewis wrote:
> Does anyone know of a way to disable scientific notation in a plot? For
> example, I have a plot where the axis limits are 0 and 0.05, and I'd like the
> output labels along the axis to be 0, 0.01, 0.02, etc. The default labeling is
> in scientifc notation (1E-2, 2E-2, etc). When I use the command
> hlimits=0:0.05,:0.01, I still get labeling along the axis in scientific
> notation. Any ideas?

Hi Will,

You can format the axis labels with PPL XFOR and PPL YFOR, each of which
takes a valid Fortran format.  So for 5 digits of precision on the x-axis
you'd do something like

let a = {0,.00005}   ! create a simple variable
plot/set/vs/line/hl=0:.00005:.00001 a,a   !setup the plot
ppl xfor (f7.5)      ! specify format for X numeric labels
ppl axlint 1 2       ! label every tic on X, every other on Y
ppl plot             ! render the plot

See also the PPLUS guide at
   http://ferret.wrc.noaa.gov/Ferret/Documentation

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew Wittenberg          Program in Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
andyw@splash.princeton.edu                        Princeton University