t-axis clash with variable called T

I am trying to work with netCDF files created from ECMWF ERA40 analyses. Unfortunately temperature has been given the name 'T' which clashes with the time axis variable 't' in Ferret. If I try to write out T to a new netcdf file, I end up with a very long arbitary time axis -- presumably ferret has treated the temp. field as time. In these files, the time axis is just a single value.

Is there any way around this? Unfortunately I need to keep the name 'T' for temperature to ensure my other programs work. I was hoping to use Ferret to do some basic processing of the file before running a numerical model.

There is a case difference, the axis is called 't' and the variable 'T' but that doesn't seem to help.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Glenn

--

Dr. Glenn Carver, Centre for Atmospheric Science, Univ. of Cambridge,
Chemistry Dept., Lensfield Road, Cambridge, CB2 1EW, UK.

mailto:Glenn.Carver@atm.ch.cam.ac.uk http://www.atm.ch.cam.ac.uk/~glenn/
Phone: +44 (1223) 763827 ** please note new numbers **
Fax: +44 (1223) 763823