Re: problem with samplexy and missing xpts, ypts

Hi Rob,
Thanks for the report, and the nice simple example to
illustrate it.  This is a bug,  and we already have a fix
which will be in the next release of Ferret.

Ansley Manke

Rob Scott wrote:

Hi Ferreters:

I've encountered a problem with samplexy when data is missing in the xpts, and/or ypts,
for ferret versions 5.33 and 5.40 on Linux.

!______________________________________________________________________
use coads_climatology
let xwbad  {140,150,,170}
list xwbad
let ywbad  {20,30,40,}
list ywbad

! can list if you avoid the bad xpts,ypts:

list samplexy(sst[l=1],xwbad[i=1:2],ywbad[i=1:2])

!______________________________________________________________________
! but it has trouble if you include the bad xpts,ypts:
! including the following line causes ferret to hang:

! list samplexy(sst[l=1],xwbad[i=1:3],ywbad[i=1:3])

!______________________________________________________________________
! interestingly, one can avoid the problem by simply regridding
! to a similar grid!?!

define axis/X=1:360:2/units=longitude xaxis
define axis/y=89S:89N:2/units=latitude yaxis
define grid/like=sst/x=xaxis/y=yaxis mygrid
let sst_tmp = sst[G=mygrid]

list samplexy(sst_tmp[l=1],xwbad,ywbad)

Is this a bug? Or how should I understand this behaviour?
Thanks,
Rob

--
Postal Address:

Program in Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
P.O. Box CN710, Sayre Hall
Princeton, NJ 08544-0710
USA

Tel: 609-452-6519                    o__    ____
Fax: 609-987-5063                    _,>/'_  -----
E-mail: rscott@princeton.edu        (_) \(_) ------

--
Ansley Manke  Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory  Seattle WA  (206)526-6246