problem with shared libraries

Just recently I installed ferret on a SGI, version 5.22. I was successfully
using the eof package made possible by the shared library routines. However,
suddenly it stopped working for no apparent reason. I have reinstalled the
software again from scratch, however, the fatal error continues.

use "data/anom/avg3a_spsl-anoml1.m1-12.y1-100.cavg3a21-100.nc "
set region/x=130e:110w/y=20n:65n
let eofxyfcn = eof_space(psl[x=130e:110w,y=20n:65n],2,1.0)
3620566:ferret: rld: Fatal Error: attempted access to unresolvable symbol in
/sphere/home/col414/ferret/ext_func/libs/eof_space.so: ef_set_desc_

I have no idea why this error suddenly introduced, but are concerned that
something may have happened at our system level, but so far nothing has been
found.

Thanks for any help,
Mark.