extracting nearest points

Dear ferret users

My problem is hopefully a trivial one. I have output data (3D) from an
atmospheric model on a cartesian grid. The lowest grid points are usually
missing values, as this are grid points below ground and therefore don't have
values (only atmospheric variables considered). However, the first points above
grid aren't all on the same level as topography is not uniform. I would now like
to extract the first point above topography. When I set the region to the first
level (K=10) and the issue the command

LET above = press[K=@CIA]

I get the indices of the first points above topography at every xy-point of the
grid. However, "above" ranges from 0 (here lowest level already is above ground)
to 15. My problem is to extract the values at exactly these indices. I would
like to do something like a SAMPLEK(temp, above), where "above" is a grid with
the same dimensions as temp but with the respective index of K to extract at
every xy-point. Does something like that exist as a predefined function in
ferret?

Thanks very much for your help

Nick

Nicolas Schneider