changing the "time since" date in netcdf.

Hi Ferret Users,

I have 17 years of model output that I'm trying to work with.  I want to
open it as one large data set using a multi-file netcdf file.  The problem
is, each file uses its years as the time origin.  For instance, in the
header info for the 1984 data file, the origin is 1984.  ie
time:units = "days since 1984-01-01 12:00:00.0" ; and for 1985 it's 1985
etc.  As far as I can tell from the documentation, each file in a .mc
dataset must have the same time origin.  Is there an easy way to change
the origin date within ferret?  The only other option that I can think of
is to ncdump the file to ascii, manually change the relevant info, and
ncgen it back.  I'm trying to avoid this as the files are quite large and
dumping them to ascii result in files >1Gb.

Thanks in advance!

-- Brent

--
Brent A. McDaniel