Re: IEEE to NetCDF

Hi Fabio,

Your question has inspired a bit of background chatter ...

There are at least 3 answers:

  1. You can most likely take your files as-is and drop them into a DODS
     FreeForm server (see http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/dods/).  The
     files then become accessible as Web URL's that can be opened with Ferret
     (and other applications) as if they are local netCDF files. (You'll need
     to "describe" the binary content of the files in the FreeForm language)
  2. If the binary format is sufficiently simple then you can read the files
     as-is in Ferret. See the Ferret Users guide Ch2 Sec4.BINARY DATA  --
     http://ferret.wrc.noaa.gov/Ferret/Documentation/Users_Guide/current/fer_html.htm).
     You can then ask Ferret to SAVE the data as netCDF
  3. The TMAP group (which I am part of0 here at PMEL has a version of MOM-2
     that outputs netCDF directly. Try contacting Kevin McHugh
     <mchugh@atmos.washington.edu> if you want to go this route.

    - steve

====================

Fabio D Dalan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know how I can translate IEEE binary files written by MOM_2 to
> NetCDF format?
>
> Thank you for your help.
> Fabio.
> Fabio Dalan
> Earth Atmospheric & Planetary Sciences, MIT
> Office: +1-617-253-5050
> web:    http://web.mit.edu/fdalan/www

                |  NOAA/PMEL               |  ph. (206) 526-6080
Steve Hankin    |  7600 Sand Point Way NE  |  FAX (206) 526-6744