Re: How to do 1D objective analysis (ie gridding irregular timeseries)?

You can get a good deal of control by choosing how to define the
regridding time axis. For example, if you make it fine enough that
it provides enough points to resolve (or nearly resolve) all of the
original (irregularly-spaced) data points, then the various ferret
smoothers should do what you want. Or it would be relatively easy to
write your own using [L=@SHF:n]. I would guess that this will come
very close to what the gaussian scatter2grid will do (and I wrote
the original fortran code to scatter2grid). There is nothing magic
about scatter2grid; it is just a gaussian-weighted running mean that
includes points within twice the e-folding scale specified. Once you
have regridded very finely, the equivalent of this could be written
in ferret.

Billy K