Quicker loading into fortran?

Dear Ferret Users

First of all, thanks to those who helped me with my "Missing Data from
Axis" query - I've found doing a bit of chopping and pasting in using
ncgen/ncdump has solved the problem nicely.

I'm currently loading data into Fortran to do some fiddly analysis and
then dumping out again. Currently I'm saving to Fortran using:

The data I have is on a grid with i=1:41, j=1:19, k=1:1 and l=1:7200

After plenty of looking through the archive to find a way to load in and
out of fortran, my method is to:

1) Dump into fortran format using:

list/file=jet.dat/format=unformatted/order=z mag[i=1:41,j=1:19,l=1:7200]

2) Read into fortran using:

	parameter(ix=41,iy=19,it=7200)
	dimension u(ix,iy,it)
	open(11,file="c:jet.dat",form="unformatted",access="direct")
	do l=1,it
	do j=1,iy
	do i=1,ix
	read(11) u(i,j,l)
	end do
	end do
	end do

However - the reading in of the data seems to take quite a while. Does
anybody know of a quicker method for reading ferret data into fortran?

Once again, many thanks in advance
Richard