getting the grid name on the fly

Hi Ferret Users,

I currently am calculating the difference of many files and have a method
that works but I'm thinking that there must be a cleaner way.  I'm
calculating climatological anomalies (the climatology is stored in a file
airclimsmooth91.nc) from many different annual data files (air.1957.nc
etc).

The current way that I do this is basically:
!open many of the data files in question
use air.1957.nc
use air.1958.nc
.
.
.

show grid/all
!I then write down all the grid names that correspond to the data file in
question
quit

Then when I want to calculate the anomalies I use:
use airclimsmooth91.nc
!load the data file in question
use air.1957.nc
!regrid the climatology data to the current file
let airanom=air[d=2]-dailyclim[d=1,gt=GKQ1@asn] !where GKQ1 is the grid
name returned by show grid/all earlier
repeat/k=1:17 save/klimits=1:17/file="/data/ncep/aanom.1957.nc"/append
airanom[j=36:73,l=1:365]

My question is...is there a way to get the grid names on the fly without
first going through and finding the names of them without doing some
sort of show grid/air or show grid/all?  I want to eventually
automate this but currently the grid name is giving me troubles.

Thanks as always.

Brent

--
Brent A. McDaniel