Lessons about scatter2grid*, ie gridding point data

A clarification for those gridding point data with scatter2grid*: make
sure that your input data is in array (and not matrix) form. The function
will not reshape matrices into arrays (and the gridding messes up). So to
grid a set (array, or matrix) of point data, use the following general
approach:

yes? define axis/x=1:(number of points):1 x1
yes? define grid/x=x1 gin
yes? FILE/VAR="xlong,ylat,data" /GRID=gin my_input_data_file
!also ensure that longitude is >0. Ferret generally doesn't like
longitude<0

yes? Let gridded_data= scatter2gridgauss_xy(xlong,ylat,data,
     x[gx=new_xaxis], y[gy=new_yaxis], cutoff_parameter)
!smaller cutoff_parameter => less smoothing

Also, I've run into memory(?) problems with scatter2gridlaplace_xy
when gridding a large number of points (at least on RH linux
6.0). However, scatter2gridgauss_xy has been quite stable for me.

cheers

Lev Tarasoff -  Dept of Physics, University of Toronto,
                60 St. George St., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA, M5S 1A7
                Tel (416)-946-3019  Fax (416)-978-8905
                email: lev@atmosp.physics.utoronto.ca