Cancel Grid or Cancel Axis?

Has there been any progress made concerning the institution of a
"Cancel Grid" or "Cancel Axis" command.  I'm using multiple netCDF files
and Ferret gets confused on which grid belongs to what variable.
For example, with the same variables (on different grids) in 2 datasets,
I do

 yes?  use file1.nc
 yes?  use file2.nc

But if I do a

 yes?  stat var1[d=2]

Ferret sometimes assigns the wrong grid for that analysis (depending
on grid structure and calling order).  If there existed a "cancel grid"
or a general "cancel axis" command, I could easily fix this mistaken
identity.

I've tried specifying the grid, with [g=], but that doesn't work either.
Funny thing is that when I do a

 yes?  show data/full

the grid seems fine.

Thanks,